Monday, July 27, 2015

A Traveler's Cabinet

Sorry that I haven't posted recently, but I promise to start making my blog more of a priority. 

Summer with two active boys keeps me extremely busy, but it doesn't keep me totally away from creating. I just don't get to do it as often as I'd like! And if I am creating I'm either helping the boys with their projects like our current fun....perler beads. 

Here is one of my recently finished custom pieces. This cute little cabinet was found by my client at a yard sale for only $3!!!!! Seriously?! Isn't it adorable?!

Unfortunately I started taking off the hardware before I remembered to take a photo. Sigh! But here it is before the makeover. 
I painted the outside of the cabinet with folk art chalk paint. After a couple coats I sealed the cabinet first with clear finishing wax, and then used dark wax to distress it. 

I didn't bother painting the inside of the drawers because the wood was beautiful enough. I also didn't paint the drawer fronts (see below). 

My client loves to travel and loves maps, so I knew exactly what it needed!
I traced the front of the drawers onto the maps and cut them out so they were a perfect fit. I used matte Mod Podge to glue down the maps, and also to seal it. I wanted it to look aged, so I sanded the edges so the wood could show through. 

To reassemble the hardware, I used a mechanical pencil (with the lead retracted) to find and punch out the holes for the hardware. I then screwed on the plates. 

I wanted to give it a little character, so I used ink to distress the labels that go onto the front (again to make it appear old and worn). 
Here is the piece all complete! I think it's quite lovely! The client loves it which makes me happy! Until next time..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment